Author Topic: Odds & Sods  (Read 349626 times)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Odds & Sods
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I like spiders but there was a humongus (can't spell it) one last night and cos the cat was eyeing it up my husband put it in the glass and put it outside

That seems a bit harsh. I'm surprised that you found a jar large enough.

Or have you got a small cat?
Martin

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 08:06 PM »
 ;D ha yes when you read it again it does look like the cat but please don't ring the nspca.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 09:49 PM »
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 09:52 PM »
awww stop it. it was the spider in the glass not my lovely cat.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Just caught something moving It my Spider body thin but about a inch long and with legs stretched out must be about 5 inches long and it can't half move its disappeared now don't no were it is hidding Fudge

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Is it furry Fudge? *shudder*

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Its not furry thank goodness just one of them big ones you get at this time of the year Fudge

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Someone told me that a bowl of conkers in a room will deter spiders.  Worth a try!

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Top Banana,we have got a chicken roasting,but now i want tata ash,a rag pudding and some black pudding  :-\
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Top Banana,we have got a chicken roasting,but now i want tata ash,a rag pudding and some black pudding  :-\

Sounds good to me!!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Do they still sell the Staffordshire oatcakes in the new Market Hall? We used to buy them from Dorothy's opposite Fish's butchers. Dorothy sold fresh chickens, eggs, cheese etc, plus piles of these oatcakes. I think Williams stall sold them too. Scrummy!! - grilled and buttered or with bacon. Used to be able to buy them at Sainsbury's down here in the south, but no longer.  8)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Mr Chips

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Denise,

Why not make your own oatcakes?:

http://bbc.co.uk/i/n4ynz/

If you want to skip to the chase about 9 minutes in

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51 AM »
You,ve got me mouth watering now!!When I was at home my mum would put our tea(dinner for posh folk)on a low light in the oven all day , something like steak and onions , when I got home from school I would add the gravy browning and flour to make the gravy , and boil potatoes , when mum came home from work at 6pm  tea would be ready , absolutely delicious!!
 When I lived in Edinburgh I couldn,t find vimto anywhere (plenty of irn bru though) but happily when I moved to Saudi Arabia it was everywhere !!! and made in Manchester too!!I can find it here as well these days but made in Dubai !!!The vimto company must have made a fortune .. ;)
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Mr Chips - Thanks so much for that. My Mum, being a Staffordshire lass, would occasionally make her own on a traditional bakestone or griddle, 'steeping' the mixture overnight - wish I'd taken more notice. I suppose it used to be easy to buy them as well, but I'll certainly have a go now. As for black pudding, they're still sold whole on farmer's markets and in some more rural butchers.
Bill - Don't think I've ever eaten a savoury duck, duck!! (Duck - a Staffordshire endearment). Denise  :D
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 02:28 PM »
Tell you what you can get in the market though - savoury ducks.  Average when cold but delicious when sliced and fried.
Wasn't included in the Manchester cuisine link.Yesterday I was thinking about them,and there you go,you brought it up