Author Topic: Odds & Sods  (Read 309101 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Odds & Sods
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:20 AM »
A topic about nothing in particular.

For example, I've read that we'll all have to buy digital radios when they switch over from the present system to digital transmission.  Apparently, it seems that the biggest obstacle to switching over is finding a landfill site big enough to dump all the ones we've already got and which will become obsolete.

I also read that what comes out of the speakers of a digital radio is a second or so behind what goes into the aerial, making it more difficult to walk round the room trying to get the best signal.

P.S. Does anyone remember being the one who had to stand in the middle of the room with a portable TV aerial because that was the only place you could get good reception?

P.P.S. Two TV aerials got married - the service was dull but the reception was great.

Vanessa

Re: Odds & Sods
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I remember the person holding the aerial couldn't watch the TV as they were always out of view, standing on a chair in the corner.

Vanessa

Ashtonian54

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:54 PM »
That's interesting.

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:28 PM »
thats as bad as when i worked for coleman stove comp.in toronto an elderly lady kept phoning complaining that her furnace didnt heat the house so they sent one of our engineers to check it out when he asked her where is your thermostat she opened a cupboard and said its in there ta dah cheers kennyo

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:59 PM »
HI I wonder why, could have run out of females, or money.
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 03:54 AM »
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Love the "sharks with frickin lasers "ala Dr Evil.....
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I loved that last one Bill - saw it on the news this morning and it started my day off with a smile  :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:20 AM »
I hope there Music is as good Ha ha ;D ;D ;D

Thirty8ers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49 PM »
A topic about nothing in particular.

For example, I've read that we'll all have to buy digital radios when they switch over from the present system to digital transmission.  

Hi Bill,
The switchover to the digital signal only affects TVs and not radios.

There is no need to buy a new TV, you just need a digital (free view) box.

The switchover is in two stages, in our region (North-West UK - Winter Hill transmission), the BBC2 analogue signal will be switched off on 04/11/2009 and we will need to retune our digital boxes to pick up the available channel. The remaining analogue signals are switched off on 02/12/2009 and the digital boxes will need to be retuned again to pick up all the available channels. Most digital boxes will search for the channels with very little input...it should be quite painless!

More information can be found here -

http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/

June

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:17 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the speed of Teletext on digital, Bill - read this!
"Teletext's news and information service is to come to an end in January next year - two years ahead of schedule"
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/uk/teletext+closing+news+service+early/3268762

Once you get your set top box sorted out it is pretty straightforward to use and you get extra channels such as BBC3, BBC4, More 4, Film on 4, Yesterday, etc. I can get Five on digital but not otherwise. I don't watch much telly so I appreciate the extra choice - some of the few things I watch are on these digital channels.

It is also planned to change radio broadcasts over to digital, but that is proposed for around 2015 and could end up being later than that.
http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/913660/DIGITAL-BRITAIN-Government-sets-2015-digital-radio-switchover-date/
Martin

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 01:09 PM »
No trouble recording another channel if you have a digital recorder Bill. We got one for that reason. They cost a bit more, but are worth it in the long run.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 02:20 PM »
We are going the same way here,digital signals only, soon.I got a box from my cable co.had 100 channels of rubbish + radio stations,pay for this,pay for that,on demand!!piddled around with it for a week trying to get my hard drive DVD recorder to be recognised by the box to no avail.It is a Toshiba problem,the cable co say,it wasn't their end but Toshiba's end,but I could buy a PVR from the cable co for $500 with little or no other options than record.Needless to say they got the box back so now I'm down to 28 channels of Analogue rubbish.As luck would have it, we only watch the news,after recording! skip all the commercials,better half watches Corrie,after recording,skip commercials again.I don't know how people find time to watch much tele I know I can't.
Dinner is a floating time,6 pm onwards,sometimes as late as 8.Wash up ,shower,get loungers on,watch the news,delete it,then I'm off to bed,let the better half watch Corrie,delete it then were ready for another new day.(in theory, sometimes we do get waylaid,)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:17 AM »
I've stopped recording programmes now. If I miss something I just watch it later on BBC's iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
It is really useful - is there something similar in Canada and Oz?
(ITV's online viewer doesn't work as well as the BBC's but I don't want to see anything on ITV anyway!)
Martin

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 02:48 PM »
We can do the same as you,go on to the web site to watch the news,I don't know about Corrie,as the powers that be don't seem to put everything on the net.
We'd rather watch it on the tele than sat around the monitor with a spritzer and mixed nuts!!!