Author Topic: CRANE FLY  (Read 6366 times)

greeny

• View Profile
CRANE FLY
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:40 PM »
HI i remember about this time of the year we use to get loads of crane flies [ daddy long legs ] but over the past few years they seem to be on the decline here in ashton ,i wonder if the bad summers we have had the last few years have anything to do with it ? or as it been to bad we shut our windows and doors before they come out , we use to get them at night time soon as you put the lights on they would fly about , as anyone else notice the decline of the daddy long legs  :D

heather

• View Profile
Re: CRANE FLY
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Not in my garden. There are always lots of them hovering around the back door. As soon as I open it, they are in the kitchen and I am always frightened that they might set the burglar alarm off!

Vanessa

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I noticed there weren't as many this year, they usually fly in as soon as you open a window, but I haven't seen any yet.

Vanessa

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:26 PM »
None yet in the Midlands :)
Used to scream for my Dad to get rid of them in my bedroom :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23 PM »
There were several buzzing round my son's open kitchen door in Carrbrook last week, but not seen any yet two miles further down the road.  Horrible things - they always seem to buzz down at your hair and face.  Horrendously large spider in my daughter's garage today - leg span of about 5 inches - uggh!!

Don't know why I like gardening - full of slugs and snails and nasty worms and grubs and stingy and bitey things.  Love feeding the birds, but the stuff which drops to the ground brings the squirrel and mice and then the cats bring in mice and frogs.  Wildlife is overrated.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Only seen one Daddy Longleg but seen a few of the small ones its the time of year for the big spiders to scuttle around now. As I have said before none of these worry me but go abroad and see a cockroach I would run a mile they make my skin crawl yuck !!! Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I think I've seen one crane fly only so far - strange. Also I've noticed an absence of wasps around here. Last year they built a nest in the roof of my utility room where I couldn't get at it. I used to give them a burst of fly spray when I saw them buzzing in and out but it didn't put them off. I hate the little buggers. I've never seen a cockroach in my life - is this a record?

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:35 PM »
i,ve seen a few about ,but maybe there is not so many because instead of gardens householders want to brickweave the garden lawn and this is where the crane fly lay their eggs.
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:01 PM »
hi thanks for that so it does seem that the crane fly is on a decline , i have not seen a lady bird in the garden this year , and there does not to be as many wasp and bees , :)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Same here about the ladybirds greeny - I've see perhaps two or three only. Also I usually get greenfly and blackfly feasting on my fruit bushes but not this year. No wonder some bird species are in rapid decline. I find it all very worrying for the future.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:29 PM »
I have seen quite a few Ladybirds and plenty of greenfly on my roses . But we have not had the right summer for them to breed. Everything came to early for them. Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:47 PM »
All the ladybirds must be in my garden then!  Don't know what they're eating as I haven't seen a single greenfly on the roses and the ladybirds are never anywhere near the roses :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 09:13 PM »
we  get the june buggers  sorry bugs they fly around your head and attracted to the lights i dont know what to exspect this year some years are  worse than others. i recall one year we had swarms of them clinging to the shop windows that were well lit. you could"t see what was in the windows and we werent too kean to have a look..we walked on the other side of the road

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 02:38 AM »
just read the news that the storm is on its way to u.k. the incy wincy spiders  might not find a spout to climb up keep safe folks hope it wont get too bad for you  all the best of luck kennetho

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Thanks KENNETHO The wind as started to pick up I hope it is not as severe as it said it will be. The Pennines might sheild us from the worst. Fudge