Author Topic: SOUTHPORT FLOWER SHOW  (Read 1514 times)

greeny

• View Profile
SOUTHPORT FLOWER SHOW
« on: August 19, 2011, 05:07 PM »
hi had a day out at southport flower show yeasterday , i have been going there for a good few years ,its seems to get better every year ,a great family day out with plenty to see , i wonder why it does not get the same coverage as chelsea flower show ? all that was on tv was a short  snippet on bbc northern news on wednesday the flowers and plants in the grand floral marguee were out of this world , i wished i could grow some of the vegetables like the ones on display the onions were that big it was lasted you a month, we sat and had our butties at the band stand being entertained by the kings of rhythm swing band doing frank sinartra songs , drove down lord street afterwards  and i still think its one of the best shopping street in britain , back to work monday worst luck  :)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Re: SOUTHPORT FLOWER SHOW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:23 PM »
I think you mean Lord Street greeny - I agree - it's always worth a visit. I went to Southport Flower Show last about 13 or 14 years ago and enjoyed the day. Lots going on and plenty to see. I saw the then-famous gardener Geoffrey Smith who was a regular on Gardeners Question Time. It's a fairly short drive from where I live but I've not been back since - probably because I'm more interested in growing fruit than anything else.

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:58 AM »
I must try the show next year, I have been to Southport, it's a nice place, but only for the sun and sea !
Whilst green fingered people are about, could I ask you knowledgeable people about my current dilemma.
I have always loved the first daffs, snowdrops ect heralding spring, and have bought quite a few bags from the pound shop to do myself this coming year.  The instructions say sow between Aug and Feb.
Now my window boxes are empty, after a lovley period with Surfinas and Marigolds has ended.
If i plant the bulbs now, where should Ikeep them ?   In the shed in the dark, or back on the windowsill, so the slugs and snails can move back in, or should I wait until its cold later in the year to plant them ?
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Vanessa

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:01 PM »
You can plant them now, if the window boxes are prone to getting warm I'd put them somewhere cool and shaded in the garden until the temps drop then put them back on the window sill. If you want to wait to plant them, keep the bulbs somewhere cool so they don't start sprouting. Any bulbs going into the ground can be planted now.

Vanessa

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Thanks Vanessa, I have them hung up in a carrier bag in my shed at the moment, but if i planted them in my boxes on the front windowsill they probably will get warm, so I will hold off until the weather finally makes its mind up summer is over !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!