Author Topic: Riots in England.  (Read 16996 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
Re: Riots in England.
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Hi everyone...re the Riots in England.   I wish I was as eloquent as some of the people who post on here, or the people who write on the supplied links (e.g. Peter Hitchins Blog)...but I'm not, and can only tell you all that I totally but sadly agree with all they say and that England is not now the place where I grew up, and I say that having lived there through the Great Depression and the years following where hardly any men had proper jobs in the early 30's.  As anyone my age knows, we had no fancy "toys": no telephones, no cars, no TV, very few real toys apart from the odd doll or truck for boys, and clothing was always made of remnants of cloth or darned when it got holes in it.  You played at games with a piece of rope to skip or allies to play marbles, or on swings in the playgrounds of local parks.  We had no money to spend other than if you got a birthday sixpence if you were lucky.   Your home was cherished and you hoped the rent would always be paid when the rent-man came around.   It just makes me sick at heart to know that everything has reached such a terribly low point.  Even so, as others have pointed out and by the general uprising of the public's voice against such terrible and lunatic behaviour, there must be a core of "good" people somewhere who can bring back the good old England I knew and loved.   

As most have said, we may have had ideas of rebelling in small ways at times and sometimes pushed the bar a little, but the thought of consequences from either a parent, my Grandma (who tolerated absolutely no bad words or unruly behaviour), a neighbour, a teacher or a "Bobby", most certainly kept most of us in line so that we came to little harm to ourselves, or did little real harm to others, and had much respect for our elders.  (Of course, there were some who went whole hog but they were severely punished and that usually prevented further indiscretions of a harsh punishable nature.)
Re the police...as a matter of fact I always regarded them as someone I could turn to for help.  Some of them boarded at my Grandma's house and some lived on Camp St..   If I was alone and needed to cross Ashton Old Road when I was quite small I would always ask the policeman on foot patrol if he would take me across, and he'd take my hand and safely deliver me to the other side.   They were "The Law" and we knew it!!!  How many police do you ever see now patrolling the streets except in cars? 
I don't know what the answer is, but I most certainly hope it comes about soon for those who have to suffer the consequences of the behaviour of these terrible demons.   :( :(

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Hello Joyce.

It's pretty much the same here with regard to a bit of snow bringing things to a standstill.

An ex-neighbour's brother emigrated to Canada and hadn't been there long when one morning, after a heavy overnight fall of snow, his boss at work asked him if he'd cleared the snow off his roof.  When he said he hadn't, his boss sent him home immediately to do so.  The reason, he later found out, was that his roof could well have collapsed under the weight of snow.

After two unusually snowy winters, I splashed out £9.99 on a snow shovel a couple of months ago so I reckon we'll be having a few mild winters from now on. :)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Hi Bill - I certainly hope your purchase of a snow shovel will act as a deterrent for heavy snowfalls for you this winter.   ;D   What your ex-neighbour's brother was told to do about the snow on his roof is so true...I wish I had the money I've spent on hiring people to remove the loads that accumulate on mine each year.  Three times over a one-month period a couple of winters ago.  Not funny and very expensive!  They say they charge so much because of their high insurance premiums in case they slip off and fall to the ground along with the icy snow!    :o

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59 PM »
thats  all very true joyce in our childhood days no one even locked their doors mind you we had bugger all to steal anyway cheers kennetho

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 10:50 PM »
This will probably give our Canoodian members a laugh but we only get snow like this once every 20 years or so, we are at about 170m above sea level and just north of 40 degrees south so it's on a par with southern Spain, we're meant to get about a foot of the white stuff around home tonight so Mrs Kiwi and I will be snowbound for the first time ever  ;)

There's newborn lambs in these paddocks but they've got plenty of shelter.  :)

My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Hi All, If we look at the 'American way' concerning crime and poverty, here are one or two facts. America has the highest prison population in the world (more than two and a half million) the highest percentage are poor people (and black) very few rich Americans go to jail. (there are exceptions) There are more than 45 MILLION Americans on food stamps, 9% of the population is unemployed, millions more only working part time jobs because there is no full time employment. American Companies are making record profits without paying the 'normal' amount of tax (loopholes etc;) Yet the republicans want to cut federal schemes to the poor to 'save' money.

I predict that in a few years the American elite will be so out of touch with the poor of their Country, a civil uprising by the 'have nots' will turn into a revolution, why anyone cannot see this is beyond me. Britain is going down the same road, if we carry on Americanising our Country (the way Murdoch would like) at the rate we are doing so, civil war is inevitable. Britain MUST go back to being BRITISH, and if you cannot understand the meaning of those words I have underlined, then we have no hope of a peaceful future.

Just a thought......

::) ::) ::) Daftjack.

That's right, the rate over here is 900 per 100,000 as compared to the UK 148 per 100,000. I don't know how that breaks down because there's a belief that most of that population is filled with poor black people doing time for 'drug' offenses. Take that out of the equation and perhaps the number might be lower.

Without doubt things are changing. here, the Republicans and the tea party people live in La La land whose heads are buried in the distant past with patriotic flag waving blaming everything on Obama, offering no solutions of their own just name calling and wanting to remove Obama. Indeed, that is what will happen next year and we'll get a republican president.

Nothing will changed however because the here they have perfected the art of distraction. It is the most effective way to control the populous and how well they do it, how very well they do it.

Must read. Who can you trust?

http://agonist.org/texas_nate/20090213/for_profit_prisons_corrupt_judge_hundreds_of_youths_jailed_for_no_reason

BIG BUSINESS.!!!!????

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Joyce I think you are very eloquent and I love reading your posts...
 When did it all go wrong??The 50s and early 60s were the same for us kids , not much money , kids were raised to be "seen and not heard"meals around the table , and not allowed to get up til we,d fimished our meal and then "please may I leave the table ?"We got gifts at birthdays and Christmas, our door was never locked , even when my mum had to go back to work .
 Too much influence from abroad? Mainly America?Or mostly a combination of things all coming together , the swinging sixties , strong economy, weak Christian values, Vietnam war , liberal ideas ???
 Times change of course , but we should be able to recognise the downsides of moderinty , stop pandering to the lowest denominator and raise our levels , bring back those "ugly " words discipline and honour, as in "honour thy father and mother "that includes all authority , teachers and police etc, any thoughts ??

Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Hi All, I thought some of you would like to read the following:

Institute for Public Accuracy
980 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045
(202) 347-0020 * http://www.accuracy.org * ipa@accuracy.org

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Millionaires: "Read Our Lips, Raise Our Taxes"

Warren Buffett recently wrote "Stop Coddling the Super-Rich" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/opinion/stop-coddling-the-super-rich.html

BRIAN SETZLER, brian.setzler.cpa@gmail.com
   Setzler is President of TriLibrium, an accounting and business advisory firm in Portland, Ore. and member of Business for Shared Prosperity, a network of forward-thinking business owners, executives and investors committed to building enduring economic progress on a strong foundation of opportunity, equity and innovation. He said today: "As a certified public accountant and business owner, I know the impact of taxes up close and personal. Warren Buffettís appeal to raise taxes at the top is right on the money. Itís outrageous that small business owners and working Americans subsidize tax giveaways to millionaires and billionaires at big corporations and hedge funds.

"The reality is that our economy was much stronger when tax rates on millionaires and billionaires were higher and our tax system did a better job of reinforcing Main Street investment over Wall Street speculation. Job creation was much better before the Bush tax cuts, which have starved our government of revenues needed for rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure, converting to clean energy, educating our kids, retraining workers and spurring the research and innovation needed to succeed in the new economy."

DAL LAMAGNA [via Bob Keener], bobkeener@businessforsharedpropsperity.org
   LaMagna is Co-Managing Partner of IceStone in Brooklyn, NY, and is also a member of Business for Shared Prosperity and Patriotic Millionaires. He said today: "As a successful entrepreneur myself, I agree with Warren Buffett. If you care about jobs, the economy and our nationís future, read our lips -- 'raise our taxes.'

"Buffett was right when he warned that Wall Street's multiplying derivatives were financial weapons of mass destruction. And he's right that lower tax rates for the wealthy have brought 'far lower job creation.' Our current tax code has it backward. People earning their income by actually working for it are paying more in taxes than people who make it in the stock market. Millionaires like me want to reinvest in our nation and strengthen opportunity for the future Ė not pull up the ladder behind us."

For more information, contact at the Institute for Public Accuracy:
Hollie Ainbinder, (615) 893-0495; or David Zupan, (541) 484-9167

AT LAST, People who talk sense, now, how about the UK Millionaires and Billionaires?

Just a thought...........

:o :o :o Daftjack.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Hi Daftjack - There's a few who have been saying these very same things in Canada too...and for quite a while!
My Senior's "short-term memory" prevents me from saying which millionaire has already donated much of his wealth because he believes in the quoted principles, and it would certainly help our economy if they'd give the small businesses a tax break instead of the multi-millionaires and their huge corporations.  It's a scandal that's been going on all over the world I guess and will no doubt continue unless there's a huge uprising from the general public or (oh, happy day!) some really smart people get into government positions and turn things around.  Quote from an old song..."the rich get richer and the poor get poorer"....  >:(

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Hey Bill, you were not around rycroft hall this afternoon was you, there was a chap snapping away whilst i passed on my 216, and its got me wondering  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Loonytoons?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Rich_Harris
 In Fluffyworld, there are (in no particular order of demerit) obesity, riots, feral kids, deficits, ClubMed debtors, the Secret Family Courts, looting, Seven Kids by Seven Fathers, Olympics tickets anarchy, chlamydia, wind power, nettle wine, Human Rights, Islamist bombers, Tony Blair, multiculturalism, lethargy, and a Franco-German hegemony in the EU. In Extreme personalityville, there are depressive interludes, obsessive compulsive disorder, and suicide; none of which, to my knowledge, have ever started a war, exploded into a social problem, or got the Daily Mail into a bit of a state.