Author Topic: Driving licencce expiry date  (Read 11365 times)

Vanessa

Re: Driving licencce expiry date
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57 PM »
They closed down a few years ago, I'm amazed they lasted that long to be honest. I think W.H. Smith was their downfall as they sold all the artist equipment B & D sold.

Vanessa

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Fletcher St goes off Market Street. Burgess and Dyson used to be on the corner.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

As far as I remember the Dukinfield buses went from there- they were green and I couldn't travel on green buses cos they made me feel sick :)

Didn't you get the Hurst Circular from outside the Market Hall, up Penny Meadow and Mossley Rd to go to AGS?

Broadoak Circular,up Henrietta St.Hurst Circular,up Penny Meadow from outside the market,Dukinfield across the road towards the Townhall along Bow St. up to Stamford St,down to Cavendish St then left to Duky.
Then they moved Hurst Circular to Fletcher St.with the Mossley bus.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50 PM »
I used to walk down Penny Meadow from St Marys to get the Number 3 from outside the billiard hall opposite the market, or walk up Penny meadow to get the same bus opposite the Albion church (would that be the right name?)
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2011, 05:41 AM »
Yes it is Penny Meadow and its was the Albion School Pamela . Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Also talking of buses, when ah were a lad, I used to take note of the make of buses that ran from Ashton. I can remember 4 makes from the 1950s era - Leyland, Guy, AEC and Daimler. If memory serves the Daimler buses were on the Ashton to Stockport route. Can anyone remember any others?

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Smallshaw Circular via Henrietta St, the Broadoak, Hurst Cross,Lees Rd/Queens Rd must have been the bus that left from outside the Market Hall (on the side opp Henry Moon's)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 04:54 PM »
I am just about to drive the 218 that goes everywhere! mossley dukinfield , stalybridge
audenshaw , droyslden , clayton then manchester !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Just looking at The history of public transport in Ashton
it lists Leyland Crossley and Guy which were the utility
ones during the war with wooden seats.The Daimlers
belonged to the SHMD Joint Board  Albert

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2011, 07:56 PM »
I used to catch the 218 outside Yates wine lodge every morning on my way to work in Gorton , I,d meet my friend (from Stalybridge)on the bus and we would get off in Openshaw and catch another bus to Gorton , luckily a new girl from Mossley had a car and I would meet her at Yates wine lodge to get a lift . Its a great route isn,t it Chris? I also like the number 8 which came from Stalybridge , down Queens Rd , Lees Rd , and stopped outside St Christophers , then on to Oldham, which was great for shopping in Oldham and my mum and I used to go to the Oldham rep to watch plays every Saturday evening , getting a lift back in the evening .
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I seemed to go everywhere on the 216 and the 218. 

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Thanks Albert - yes I had forgotten the Crossley buses. Oh those wooden seats - they were made up of strips of wood laid lengthways and were (I think) yellowish in colour. Not a comfortable ride.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 12:50 PM »
We were probably all travelling on the 216s and 218s at the same time! I also used to wait for the express # 6 to Manchester (came from Glossop) which got me to Manchester Piccadilly for about 8.20am. Then I had to leg it down Moseley St to the Central Library in St Peter's Square to 'clock on' by 8.30 or I had my pay docked!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 03:22 PM »
My getting on and off buses to and from Ashton and Piccadilly was probably the very same ones that you and others rode Pam (and you drive chrisandangie) only my days were much earlier than yours.  I've often caught the bus from Yates and always got off at the Halfway House (Ogden Lane) in Hr. Openshaw., then walked down Ogden Lane to home in Gorton by the Railway Station.  I absolutely can't remember the numbers though - going to Ashton it depended on whether I could get off at Guide Bridge for work, and it didn't matter which route if going to Grandma's because I always got off at the Market.  I used these routes as far back as about 1935/36 for me.   They had rattley old trams before that where they flipped the wooden slatted seats back or forwards depending on which way you were going, or you could get two seats to face each other if you had four of you together!   :o  Lovely old days!   ;D

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Forgot to say...time to swat up on my road signs and multiple-choice answers for my Driver's Licence Renewal Test.  Got my notice last Friday to book an appointment, and so go on Aug. 25th.  It takes about 3.5 hrs. to listen to lectures and do the actual written test then they give you a piece of paper you take to the Licence Issuing office.  That licence will be good for two more years until I'm 86!   Keeping my fingers crossed because I really need to have my licence renewed or I'll be up a creek without a paddle as it were!   ::) ;D

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15 PM »
yauts o yuk joyce i go next year for my fun day cheers kennetho